Friday, June 21, 2013

Poppin' Off- The Purge

*There are no intentional spoilers here. But if even vague overviews ruin things for you, do not continue reading*

A couple of weekends ago, my husband and I went to see The Purge. The first few times I saw the trailer for it, I really wasn't too interested in seeing it (I filed it as a "rent it" movie and moved on). But the concept of the movie grew on me and that's why I ultimately went to go see it.

Set in the United States in 2022, unemployment is at one percent and crime is virtually nonexistent- thanks to the Purge. For one night in March every year, the government steps back and lets the people do what they want for twelve hours -loot, rape, murder, whatever they wish- and there are no repercussions. And really, only the rich survive the night because they can afford high speed security systems, hence the low unemployment and crime rates. Without giving anymore away, I will say that most of the plot twists were pretty predictable and easily identifiable within the first twenty minutes of the movie. However, there were a a few that really were plot twists, things that weren't so expected.

The best part of the movie for me was the fact that it makes you think. Whether you liked it or not, it forced you to think about what you would do if you were in that type of situation. Would you fortify your home and hide out? Or would you go out and commit crimes because you knew you could get away with it? Also, how do you think our society would react to a scenario like that? I've tried to envision my city taking part in a Purge, and it looked all kinds of ugly. People wouldn't know what to expect, socioeconomic classes would still be a little more balanced so they're be more fighting.....its a crazy thing to think about. Anyway, its a good movie, so go check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!