Thursday, October 31, 2013

Personally....Pumpkins on the Pier

Happy Halloween!! I hope everyone has a safe and awesome time today- whether it be at a party, trick or treating, movie marathoning or chilling at home in your underwear. I thought today would be a good time to share what I did last Saturday.

My husband and I took our kids to Pumpkins on the Pier (we try to go every year, but aren't always successful). Its in a town called Pismo Beach, which is a few hours away from our town. We left Friday night after my son's soccer game and stayed at a Motel 6. We were lucky to get the room, since there was also a jazz festival going on that weekend. But its been a long time since we've stayed at a Motel 6 (we usually stay at my mother-in-law's timeshare or a Best Western) and the room was stinky and dingy. Before we went to the hotel though, we stopped at the Sunset Drive In in San Luis Obispo and caught the second feature of the night, which was Gravity.

We woke up early on Saturday and ate breakfast at Brad's, then headed over to the pier. Kids ten years old and under got a free pumpkin, so each of my kids got to choose one. There were all kinds of carnival games and bounce houses set up on the pier for the kids to enjoy, plus a pumpkin decorating station and face painting. There were a couple of food vendors, and then the police and fire departments had vehicles set up at the entrance of the pier for the kids to look at. There was also a costume contest. The groups were three years old and under, 4-6 years old, 7-9 years old, 10-12 years old (or something close to that) and an adult category. My children both entered into their respective age ranges, but neither one placed. They seemed to give awards to the homemade costumes, and I bought my children's. It was still fun though. And so many people loved my son's Sonic costume (my daughter was Tails, not too many people recognized her though). When it was time to trick or treat around the storefronts, he was waving and posing for people when they recognized him. Hes totally a future cosplayer :) The trick or treating was a little rough this year. Most of the stores ran out of candy within the first half hour (the trick or treating was supposed to last for two hours). There were a lot of people this year though, way more than last time we were there (which was two years ago,since we missed last year because of soccer).
Some of the games. Cute, right?!
                       
A view from the pier, when it got sunny.

My son as Sonic the Hedgehog.



I couldn't get close enough to capture all the awesomeness. 
It had a treasure chest on the back and some other cool stuff.
This is one of the haystacks that held the free pumpkins for the kids.
This was taken around 11:30am. It started at 10am and was full then.

After we finished all the Halloween festivities, we went to play on the beach for a little while. While we were out there, it got cold again. There was a nice breeze too, so lots of people were flying kites. There was a group of elderly people that were out there doing tricks with their kites, it was pretty neat. Once we were too frozen to play outside anymore, we walked over to the bowling alley and played a game. After that, we headed to San Luis Obispo to eat. We ate at Hometown Buffet. We have one here at home, but wanted to try one in a nicer city (as horrible as that sounds). It was pretty good, and there was a guy there that made balloon animals for the kids. My daughter got Squirtle and my son got a Pikachu (or Fingerchu as the balloon man called it). After that, we headed home. 







Sometimes its nice to get out of town, don't you think?





AK's note: The photos in this post were all taken by me. If you use any of them, please give proper credit and link back accordingly, thank you :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!