Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Poppin' Off Early Edition- Best Movies of 2013

I saw lots of movies this year, here are some of the ones that I think are the best (and that I can remember watching. Isn't that horrible?! I have the worst memory, seriously). (As always, if you haven't seen these movies yet and would like to, please read at your own risk. There could be spoilers.)

Family movies:
Monsters University. I am a big fan of Monsters Inc, so I came to this movie with huge expectations. And they were met. The story was good, the graphics were great.....I just loved it. And so did my kids, which means a lot. There were a couple of kid movies that didn't impress them as much this year *cough*Planes*cough* 

Despicable Me 2. Minions!!!! I love the Minions! And the story was cute too. It was able to stand on its own even though it was a sequel. 

Honorable mentions to Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, Frozen and Turbo.

Movies Based on Books:

Ender's Game. I got excited about this movie while walking some of the sets at San Diego Comic Con over the summer, and the movie did not disappoint. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure if its true to it or not, but the movie was just outstanding. 

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. This movie was so much better than the first. It had enough length to cover what needed to be covered, it didn't lack on the emotional disparity of the situation in the Districts and in the Quarter Quell, and some of the characters really held their own this time. Effie for me, made the biggest change. You could see that she was realizing what the Games really were about, and some of her scenes had me near tears (and I am not a crier for movies). Another one was Johanna Mason, the District Seven tribute. She starts off racy (stripping in the elevator anyone), but she always comes through for Katniss. And Peeta.....he was much more of a babe in this one. Gale, who? Team Peeta all the way!

Other:

Don Jon. The subject was so unconventional for a mainstream movie, but I think that's what made it great. Loved the cameos by Channing Tatum and Anne Hathaway, but wished Brie Larson had more of a speaking part.

Elysium. I thought the concept was neat, Matt Damon didn't suck at acting and even Jodie Foster did a nice bad guy.

This Is The End. This is good if you need a laugh. I love these guys, and you really can't expect a high quality film when they're all together (I'm sorry, you can't).

Did I miss a movie? Disagree with my choices? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!