Monday, March 16, 2015

Mixtape Monday #4

Happy Monday! Today's playlist is dedicated to my 31st birthday, which was last Friday (Friday the 13th, so spooky lol). I hope you enjoy my trip down memory lane!



1. Happy Birthday- NKOTB They are my life long loves lol. I became a fan at five years old, and haven't stopped since. 

2. Motownphilly- Boyz II Men This would be the first of many Boyz II Men songs that I loved. Stephanie Tanner danced to this on an episode on Full House, does anyone else remember that? 

3. Listen To Your Heart- Roxette It was a tie between this and The Look. Roxette was played a lot in my house. On vinyl. Before it was cool. 

4. Straight Up- Paula Abdul Another one where I had a tough time choosing just one song. I adored her when I was little. Especially after that video when she danced with the cartoon cat. 

5. and 6. Landslide and Big Love- Fleetwood Mac I didn't know where to place these on my playlist timeline. I grew up listening to Fleetwood Mac, but didn't really appreciate the lyrics until I was much older. Tusk is another one of my all time favorite FM songs.

7. All That She Wants- Ace of Base This was the first CD I ever purchased. I saved up my catsitting money to buy a radio with a CD player in it, and just enough to get a CD too. 

8. Just A Girl- No Doubt Junior high brought me Gwen Stefani, her crazy cool skater wardrobe, and sassy lyrics. I tried so hard to dress like her for many years (still do sometimes!), and have had a mad girl crush on her ever since.

9. C'mon 'N' Ride It (The Train) - Quad City DJs I remember this playing at the first dance I ever attended in junior high, and how excited everyone got over it. This song, and the Tootsie Roll. 

10. What's My Age Again?- Blink-182 I had such a crush on Mark Hoppus. I wanted a skater boy just like him. Blink is another band that stayed around in my life for a very long time, with mostly happy memories associated with them :)

11. Genie in a Bottle- Christina Aguilera The first time I heard this song, my sister and I were watching a brand new soap opera called Passions. It was awesome in it's weirdness. It wasn't too much longer after that episode that we started hearing it on the radio, and then Christina Aguilera became a huge star.

12. Oops.. I Did It Again- Britney Spears My sisters and I listened to her, but secretly lol. Our cover was blown when one of them basically became her one summer. Oops.

13. I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing- Aerosmith Armageddon was a huge movie my freshman year of high school, so this song was the song to dance to. I got to dance with my crush at our end of the year luau. Naturally I read way more into it than I should have, but that's what high school is for, right?

14. Ex-Girlfriend- No Doubt and 15. Pretty Girl (The Way)- Sugarcult- More high school songs. 

16. Cadillac- Mest My sister and I would drive around in her car senior year and listen to this song.

17. Sweetness- Jimmy Eat World Another high school song. I would listen to the CD that this song is on all the time.  

18. Hey Baby- No Doubt They played this at the start of my senior formal, everyone went nuts of course. The DJ ended our formal playing that song Sandstorm, you know, the techno song? All the cheerleaders were super pissed that he didn't play a slow song. Since I went went friends and not my boyfriend, I was grateful. 

19. Awake- Finch I have mixed feelings about Finch. I really liked them, then shared them with some friends. They listened to Finch so much, I almost got sick of  them. Then things got hairy with those friends, and now all I do is remember those friends when I hear Finch. But I still really love Finch.

20. Suffocate- Cold Cold and Finch are related, time-wise. While things were getting hairy with those Finch friends, I was breaking up with a boyfriend that I thought I had that forever potential with (which is stupid, because I was like nineteen) and binge listening to Cold to cope. And just like Finch, I really like Cold, but all I think of when I hear them is that crappy breakup. 

21. Hollaback Girl- Gwen Stefani Still loving Gwen, and this was around the time I met my husband. What's funny is we went to see her in concert when I was about four months pregnant with my son. I had just lost the job that I thought was going to be my forever place of employment (forever things don't seem to work out for me), and my doctor just days earlier had basically told me I was stupid because I hadn't felt my son kicking, even though he so clearly was. The concert was just supposed to be a mood enhancer, but it ended up being the first time I felt my son move! And after he was born, when we would wake up late at night and MTV would actually play music videos, he would get quiet whenever a Gwen video played :)

22. The Feel Good Drag- Anberlin I would never expect an Anberlin concert to have a mosh pit, but it did. It was insane!! Anberlin is another long time love. I found them in high school and haven't looked back. 

23. Heartbeat- Childish Gambino Shoutout to my days on Tumblr! I found him on there one summer, when my dashboard just blew up with photos of him. I thought he was mega cute, then once I started Googling, I found out that he was more than just a pretty face. I think Donald Glover is amazing. Hes a good actor, and he raps about more than just cars and clothes. He's rap music for the nerd set.

24. Push and Shove- No Doubt My husband and I went to see them in LA at the Gibson Theater. It was supposed to be like a warm up to a tour they had planned, but then Gwen got pregnant with her third son and they cancelled the tour, so we considered ourselves very lucky that we got to see them! We've seen Gwen perform twice as a solo act, so it was neat to see her with No Doubt. 

25. Remix (I Like The)- NKOTB Even though this song is like, the nerd grew up into a hottie and that's why they like her, I like to think of this song as kind of a nerd anthem. I was teased a lot growing up, so I like to think that maybe there is somebody out there that's like "dang, I shouldn't have said those things about her then! look at her now!" even though right now I am at a nasty stage. Some of my medications are making me gain weight (yuck), so I dealing with that, but I still like to daydream.

26. Everything is Awesome- Tegan and Sara ft The Lonely Island  My kids love The Lego Movie, and they love this song even more! If I have my iPod in the car, I have to be careful to not let this song come on, otherwise they will ask for it on repeat. I like the song just fine (love love love The Lonely Island guys), but not when you hear it looped for twenty minutes while stuck in traffic!

This playlist could have been way longer, but I don't want to bore to tears! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday girl!!! March birthdays are the best! (I'm the 11th)
    2. YES!!! She was so good!
    7. You gotta find the remix Myd did of Ace of Base and Rhianna (Rihanna?). It's on soundcloud. Love it.
    11. I used to watch Passions too! I stopped midway I think, but my friend filled me in. Sheridan is on Face Off right?
    21. That is really sweet.

    This wasn't boring at all. Gave me serious nostalgia and makes me want to rewatch every WB show right now haha.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!